Monday, June 5, 2017

YES! I Roomba, Do You Roomba? Ten Years of Cleaning

Roomba has changed the way I clean my house. The Roomba, by iRobot is a mechanical sweeper that really does perform quite well. My first Roomba started in March of 2008, just after we remodeled our kitchen.

Though our model number has changed, this is today's equivalent, the Roomba 690



 For almost ten years the beast has swept my
35 x 18 ft kitchen, laundry and hallway area twice a week. Ten years, or 1000 sweeps, for a $389.00 machine equals $0.389 cents per cleaning. So, I shut a few doors to contain the area, pick up scatter rugs, laundry pile, etc., push the button and walk out the door. (Or take a nap) Voila! Return in an hour to clean swept floors.

Yesterday I had my sliders open in the kitchen to try to enjoy the rare, mild weather on our deck. The problem was, besides the gypsy moth caterpillars, the POLLEN was flying. A few hours of fresh air and my kitchen table had a layer of pollen on it. That meant that the pollen must be everywhere. I ran Roomba for an hour and here is what I collected.                      
                                                            

There is a trap door under Roomba where you empty the collection bin and check brushes for debris.Replacement parts are available for these items from iRobot and Amazon.

Battery life is good, I have had to replace my rechargeable battery two times in ten years.



Over the years I have added more units to our family. First was the Dirt Dog. Now out of production, the Dirt Dog was the bomb! I could run it in my basement or garage with excellent results. This little beast would chow down on spiders, bugs, nails and screws with no problem.

What a wonder! IRobot should bring this one back!

Next was a simple, utilitarian model for our master suite. It has run since 2012 like a charm.

 Our newest Roomba is the Roomba 980. We bought it for the love shack in Florida. This is the cadillac of all Roomba. It has all the bells and whistles. You can even start the cleaning remotely from your smart phone.




Roomba 980 has a two hour cycle which knows if the cleaning is finished. It will navigate back to the charging station, recharge, and finish the job when it has more power. AND it will automatically switch to vacuum on your rugs, and back to sweeper on your hard surfaces.

All in all I have to say yes to Roomba. After almost ten years, four Roombas have served me effortlessly and are well worth the money spent (and time saved!).

No comments:

Post a Comment